Monday, February 1, 2016

Waddup Fam!

It's gonna be hard to top last week's email, but this week was up there on one of the busiest and most bizarre ones. Last week president's previous idea of what would happen here in Yamate stood true as Elder Johnson and I split up into different companionships but both stayed. My new companion is a pretty young missionary, Elder Hawkins from Redding, England. Hopefully I don't pick up an English accent. Funny how different we are being from different countries, but he's cool! I feel like my mission has completely changed this last week though. It's kinda all on me now. First time I have really felt any stress on my mission but it's a good thing.

I definitely didn't get a chance to adjust to my new role in the companionship. Our first day together we taught a new investigator who showed up to church randomly last week, Shintaro. He walked into the church to have our first lesson. The first thing he says is, "Today I am getting baptized right?" I was so shocked I couldn't even answer... I said, "Wait who?" He says, "Me. Can we do it today?" I looked at the other missionaries who happened to be there. We all just stood there kinda shocked haha. We tell him we can't do it that day. I planned on having a simple get to know each other kinda lesson, but I spent most of the lesson not knowing what to do.. He went off on some crazy stuff, like how one of the religions here chases him and steals his stuff, then about some of his hallucinations. Crazy guy but not too terrible. We ended up setting a baptism date for the 20th of this month, after we explained the commitment involved. Hopefully we can get him ready by then. That hour or so just wrecked me mentally, I was out if for the rest of one of the busiest days of my mission.

The next day he came to church (yesterday) where I got to participate in the setting apart of the recent converts, Nakamura & Wada. You can't deny the power of the Priesthood. After church the ward had a potluck and it was intense!! So much good food. I have learned to really love the ward here. Recently decided that it beats Atsugi out as my favorite area so far. After church a member here invited us over to hang out with her husband who isn't a member, Masahiro. He is such a boss, just so chill. She gives him a lot of crap about not being a member and is super pushy. Things got super heated to the point of her crying and him calling her out pretty hard. Super hard to be in that situation... Can't pick sides, nor get involved. I think we handled it well though. Just really sad to see a family struggle. There are so many blessings in store for their family if he decides to earnestly find the truth. It won't happen if he keeps feeling so much pressure from her though. Makes things hard for us. Then to finish the day off we went over to Nakamura's to deliver him a Book of Mormon set that I put a pic of the baptism and a note  encouraging him to endure to the end and reflecting on our experiences. He lives in a super humble situation, everything was sooo old. I just love him so much, we're best friends. Everything I just typed though was the first 3 days of the transfer. Not to mention we also found a new investigator walking to the station the other day, teenager named Riyou. Just so much stuff going down, craziness.

Earlier in the week before the transfer ended we met with Ken Kimura again. He is so great, just wants to go to heaven and be baptized so bad. He just has trouble doing the things we ask. We told him if he puts in effort he could be baptized early March and we set a date with him. I bluntly told him he needs to put in more effort if he wants to make it. He took it seriously. Hopefully that sparks a change in him.

We are still seeing miracles here in Yamate! Been enjoying life lately. I love you guys and pray for you every night.

Sorry all I've got this week are pics of the slaughter we put down at Costco today. Including 20 kilos of rice & 20 breasts of chicken. Over $200 spent! BOOM!

Spackman 長老

Scratch that, 40 breasts of chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment