Monday, January 25, 2016

Keiji Nakamura's baptism!

**MUST READ**

Yesterday is up there on greatest days of my life. Also one of the most stressful. This week we spent a ton of time with Nakamura teaching and preparing him for baptism. I'm not being modest but I really don't think we did much... We planned a lot for him, shared our testimonies and used the Book of Mormon and church pamphlets to teach. It really doesn't even feel like we were the teachers. He just tried his hardest and God did the rest. So happy and proud of him.

As I explain, it may sound like I am saying too much but it was a special day, so I don't care:) The baptism was after church so everything started out decently normal, though we had to do a ton of prep. Plus there was a lot of stress as 7 non members came to church, one of which was our friend Ken Kimura! Riyou, the kid who got baptized last week, received the Holy Ghost which was great for all those people to see and later hear it explained in a talk and lesson afterwords. During church I strongly felt the spirit. Sitting next to Ken and Nakamura just made it even better. Right after church though? Things got real. I had the great honor of baptizing Nakamura. Though I got pretty nervous as I changed my clothes in preparation. Not only was it my first time but it also was in Japanese... Since the baptism last week had to be redone 3 times, there was a lot of people telling us to get it right this time. As if that wasn't enough stress we were scheduled to sing a song before the baptism that is pretty hard and we hadn't practiced once... I said a prayer in the bathroom that I could calm down and that everything goes smoothly haha.

At the meeting I sat up there with Elder Terry in our white clothes almost in shock that it was happening as I looked over to see the Sisters investigator Wada and Nakamura waiting to make the biggest and best decisions of their lives. Elder Johnson did an intro for Nakamura who stood next to him shaking his head furiously and saying "no" after every compliment or kind word. I laughed through most of that. He is insanely humble. Before everyone went downstairs for the baptism the other missionaries and I sung thee song to the two getting baptized. It's a popular one at baptisms here and basically says we knew each other before this life and we promised we would come find you (the investigators) on earth and teach you the way back to Christ. I will never forget what happened next. I heard a noise halfway through the first verse. I looked up to see the large 44 year old Nakamura sitting there in all white who I never thought would cry, considering how hard his life has been, balling his eyes out. Sobbing almost. He looked confused what was happening as he looked out the window with the sun shining on his face. A feeling that he has never felt but was so familiar. I didn't need to ask, I was sure he was feeling God's love.

My heart skipped so hard as I saw this. We make promises to everyone that if they try their hardest they can feel that love and know God exists and that this is his church. A lot of times people don't give it their all, just don't care, or it takes them a long time. To see it happen right before me as we sung an unpracticed song that probably didn't sound the best? Priceless. There is nothing else a grown and callused man like him could be feeling to make him weep like that than the love of God and a confirmation from the spirit. This church is true, he felt it, and I felt it again as I saw it. If this church is true and so are its teachings? This is the only place we can find all the truth, happiness, and correct ways to enter the gates of heaven and live eternally with our Heavenly Father again. Tell me that's not important... For any of you reading, church member or not, I plead with you to further investigate the church (through prayer, reading the Book of Mormon & attending church) find your own answer as Nakamura, me and so many others have. Prepare to take your next step no matter where you are. From being baptized, to going on a mission, or repenting, to going to the temple... Now is the time!

Nakamura is everything the scriptures say, "broken heart, contrite spirit, no hypocrisy, real intent, wanting to believe." He has nothing that can be seen, but has it all as to what really matters. He is super poor, doesn't really have a job, barely manages to eat and dress himself, low self confidence, but yet has eternal happiness and life. He has everything he needs. I think he realized that for the first time yesterday, that this life is about finding happiness and that's what God wants for us.

We were both nervous beforehand but as we went into the baptismal font we both felt at peace. I felt a lot of power behind my voice as I said the blessing and we got it right the first time. Afterwords in the bathroom we shared a big, soaking wet hug. He later shared his experiences in the meeting. He is actually great at making people laugh haha. He said that he heard kind things from us that day that he hasn't ever heard even from his own parents :( His life has been so hard. I was surprised how much he talked about me. He talked about how he was surprised to see us at the door 3 years after he had once met missionaries. He talked about how I disagreed as he said that it was a coincidence but that it was instead God's guidance. He also talked about how I taught him his favorite thing, CPR (come to church, pray, read scriptures) haha. I sat alone away from everyone after the meeting and watched as people came to congratulate the new church members. So great to sit there and continue to feel the Spirit telling me that the two of them made the right decision, didn't want it to end. It's a great feeling to know you have had a large influence on someone's life. What a blessing.

I could write more about my week, but I want to leave it at that.

I love you guys <3

pics

1. Day before the baptism

2. Us missionaries with Wada and Nakamura

3. <3

4. He was pretty nervous lol

5. He hates pictures haha

6. The baptism last week, Daiki baptized his best friend Riyou

7. Zone meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment