Monday, January 4, 2016

Best Week Yet

Hey guys!! Hear me out on this email and check the pics

Beginning of the week we had an awesome zone meeting. We worked on inviting others to baptism (came in handy later:) as well as working with members. Together we read an article from the church magazine called the Ensign. (Feb 2005) "Seven Lessons on Sharing the Gospel." Got me fired up. I will attach it to this email. To you members and definitely my family, my challenge is that you read that article and follow it's council.

The next day we went on split (changing companion for a little while). I was with a Japanese elder I live with, Tomita. As we were walking I saw a guy with a Cleveland Cavs hat on so I commented on it and realized he was from the Philippines (wassup McKay). Kelvin was excited to tell me he is Christian after he learned who I was. Elder Tomita talked to Kelvin's young son the whole time, so it was all on me. As we talked he told me that there are some questions he has that his Pastors either can't answer or don't give him the answer he likes. Some of them were: Why do bad things happen? Will everyone be saved? Does what religion you are matter? Is there an unforgivable sin? What does it mean when we just feel like we can't do hard things? I used the Book of Mormon a lot and on that last question felt prompted to tell him he needs more faith. So I bluntly did. He kinda laughed but really took it and said, "yeah that's probably true." He said he feels stuck with his relationship with Christ and wants to come closer to Him. I promised him we can help and we are meeting tonight with a member who speaks Tagalog, Kelvin's native tongue. Pretty excited. I promised him that we could answer a lot of his questions through The Bible and The Book of Mormon, soo thankful we have all the answers. I could feel God's help in the conversation and am thankful for that as well. We also really connected as we talked basketball. He hates Kobe and the Spurs, loves Lebron and any team he plays for. Couldn't be any more similar. He is younger, maybe 35 ish. Looking forward to it.

Next day we had Christmas/new year mission conference. It was really good, learned a lot and had a fun time. We had a white elephant gift exchange I received V8 and gave away a monster bottle of garlic haha, I'll send a pic. They had a testimony meeting at the end. It was really good but half the people there got up... It was legit 35-40 people... So we were late to dinner with the Sorensons. Third turkey dinner I have had this last holiday season. They are awesome. I am kinda happy to say goodbye to the holidays though. We have been so busy, eating terribly and have way too many goodies and candy in our apartment..

Next day I went to Kamiooka for splits with the Zone leaders but not before Johnson 長老 and I had a lesson with the man. Keiji Nakamura. We told him about God's plan for us and what we do to follow that plan, Jesus Christ's teachings including baptism. This was probably the most perfect lesson I have ever had. Just everything felt right and worked perfect. Nakamura is finding answers in the Book of Mormon, praying, feeling the spirit, coming to church. He asks the best questions like why Christ was baptized if he was perfect. In reply we read some of 2 Nephi 31. You can just see everything click when we teach, he understands and remembers everything. Just so prepared. We asked him to be baptized, he said yes. We asked about a date, he said next time. Next time was yesterday. We asked him if he picked a date. He said he is bad at deciding things and asked us for a suggestion. We had prayed and felt good about January 24th. When we told him he was surprised, "that's soon! Is it ok if I do it that soon?" I'm just shocked with his humbleness and willingness to act on the things he has heard and felt. He told us in 2009 he decided he wanted to change, just quit smoking cold turkey, slowed down his alcohol consumption then replaced that with exercise. He made the connection that similar to that repentance is a physical and spiritual change. He is about as prepared as it gets in Japan. We told him we know he will be ready by the 24th and he said, "well I better start preparing." We went home and planned everything out for the next few weeks. It's looking good and he is way solid. Just makes me so dang happy. Tearing up now..

New Year's morning we got up early to see the sunrise (a big tradition here) at a park that overlooks the bay. We ran into some other missionaries there. None other than Inumaki my second companion was there, I love it we can talk now! We had fun when we were companions but now that we can actually communicate... Oh man. I was laughing the whole morning with him. Also in our apartment we had a deep fry party. We tried deep fried waffles, Reese's, Tim Tams, all kinds a good stuff.

To top it all off this p day I got to play ping pong here with Ishii from Atsugi <3

Just an amazing week, I love you guys. The church is true and changes lives.

Pics

1. I sent some videos of this guy but... Mr. "I like black girls" racist man somehow followed me all the way to Yamate

2. Here is that garlic I gave at the gift exchange haha

3. Some bomb ramen I had this week

4. Where the Yokohama Baystars play

5. Yeah, I live here..

6. ...No that's not a lie

7. Didn't take this but that first sunrise of the year over Mount Fuji is too nice

8. My homemade stocking and a chocolate orange from the Sorenson's that made it really feel like Christmas at home

9. The article I was talking about

No comments:

Post a Comment