Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sorry this is so late

Konbonwa!
This probably won't get sent till tomorrow because today was crazy busy but an awesome p day. I haven't had a normal p day since I got here. Kinda wearing on me. I just wanna chill, email, wash my clothes, and SLEEP. Today we started the day off by going to the Zama army base here. So weird. Once we went past the gates it was back in America. Man it's going to be weird when I get home. So while I was waiting for Elder Brown to finish updating his insurance I "had" to wait in the waiting room with game 2 of the finals on. Ohhhh no I have to watch one of my favorite sports events and favorite athlete.... Haha I watched most of the 4th quarter. So sick. Glad to later hear that the Cavs won in overtime. Go Cavs baby! Though GS is pretty sick, not gonna lie... Then we went with one of the families in our ward to eat and to a dam that Elder Mitabi's dad helped build (one of my roommates, the short Japanese one). Definitely a great dam party ;) Then we met up with Fukuoka Kyodai who loves going out with us to teach lessons and find people. He is such a stud and really wants to serve a mission. We went to dinner with him and helped him answer some difficult life questions that I can't answer a lot of times haha. 

This week we talked to a lot of cool people. Found a couple new investigators, referrals and friends. It's really tough to get back in touch with people a lot of times though. Kind of frustrating... The referrals we found because I hopped in one of their selfies then we started talking and realized they are from Bangkok, Taiwan! They spoke English and agreed to meet with the missionaries there. Hopefully I can hook the homie McKay Luker up with them :) That same day we found some really chill guys that weren't interested in the church but were cool. I bet we see them in English class someday. They liked taking pictures of "poses". See below.

I recently finished all of Doctrine and Covenants. Good stuff but it definitely dragged on. I definitely have a lot more respect for Joseph Smith and stronger testimony that he and our prophet today receive revelation from God. I wouldn't necessarily suggest reading it front to back. Though there are seriously some dope scriptures in there. I am back reading the Book of Mormon, taking in as much as I can. It is literally insane how much I am getting out of it this time around. Crazy what prayer, an earnest desire, and concentration can do. People read so many self help books to try and better their lives but ignore and harden their hearts to the best one, the word of God written in the Book of Mormon (and Bible). It literally answers any question you have. It's stories are wild too.

One thing I have learned a ton about out here is the church member and person I want to be when I get home. I have seen some of the best examples of excellent members but also seen some bad ones. Really opened up my eyes. Some of the best examples are Fukuoka (who I mentioned), Kitajima (our ward mission leader), Sato (our current bishop) and Watanabe (I talked about him when I was in Tokorozawa).

It sounds weird but I am excited to go home and strive to be a good member. To do missionary work with the people I meet, to fulfill my calling and go beyond what is expected. I'm positive in doing so it's bound to bring me and others more happiness and continue my conversion to my Heavenly Father as I prepare to meet him again. If I ever seem to forget these things please remind me. 

For some of you I may sometimes sound like a crazy pastor. Don't worry I'm still the same Brett, though this gospel really has changed me for the better. I know it because I feel the joy it brings. I feel more guidance and help.
We had a long lesson with both Kobayashi and Shimizu this week. Man Shimizu is so solid and learning that the Book of Mormon can answer all of his questions, as I mentioned earlier. He's reading on his own and finding answers for his life. It's so great. I am really confident he will own his baptismal date here in about a month. Let's hope I don't transfer beforehand. Kobayashi seemed to take a step back this week. We were going to invite him to be baptized but it didn't seem like the right time to do so. We are trying to get him to church.
Still loving Atsugi and the awesome members here.
I love you all, strive hard to be better people not just in others eyes but in God's eyes :)
-Spackman 長老
1-2. Pictures on the street with random kids, they liked doing "posses"

3. Sunset view from the 3rd floor of our church
4. We brought the sacrament to a sick member who has way bad cancer. He has awesome faith
5-7. The dams we visited
8. Elder Mitabi, shortest Elder in the mission haha 

No comments:

Post a Comment