Thursday, May 14, 2015

Regrets

I won't get any wifi today. So this is probably getting to you a few days late. My whole apartment except for me got sick this week, I feel like I am next. It's way hot and humid here but it's just going to get worse. I guess during the summer there are days that get to 100% humidity. Mixing that with a hot day is some dangerous crap. I love the heat but humidity kinda ruins it. 
This week we got a referral from the sisters in our district! He says he believes in God! Two rare things here in Japan referrals and people that believe in God. We met with him and were able to set up an appointment. If you have a relationship with God or believe in him, be thankful for it. We take it for granted.
After over a month of trying to visit him we finally saw Jordan at the starting of this last week! We came by right in time to see him one last time :( he told us he is moving. As far as I know Jordan has now moved to Yokohama to start a new job making more money therefore bringing him closer to his goal of going to America. I will hook him up with the Yokohama Elders and we will see what happens! I see this being a part of God's plan for Jordan. Plus I was previously wanting my next transfer to be to Yokohama anyways soooo ;)
Funny things for the week... We got stuck at a train crossing in Tokorozawa for an absurd amount of time. At train crossings there is a constant annoying beep until the gate lifts. I looked a ways down to where the station is and there is some high school kid just bowing ridiculously low and fast to the beep beat. He did this (and we were laughing the whole time) for like 10-15 minutes and then stayed there waiting for the next train. Who knows how long he had already been there or stayed there afterwords but we were laughing soo hard. He must have lost a bet or something. 
I also quickly learned, sleeping in a room with 4 people here, that I talk in my sleep. Some things that I have apparently said include: 
-Japanese sentences, such as "tsukatte mo ii desu ka?" Which means, is it ok if I use this? 
-"If you ever want to do something effectively you need to.." Motivational speaker?
-Lastly my favorite! I sat up and said, "ALRIGHT! Now who is with me?!" Then raised my hand and looked around. After no one raised their hands in agreement cause it was the middle of the night...I let out a frustrated sigh and collapsed back into my deep sleep.
Now, let's talk about regrets :) I'm actually not talking about the past though... I am talking about the future. Regretting things in life is pointless, though thinking about regrets has been good for me. I will finish that thought in a sec. Bear with me as I share two things that happened yesterday.
My roommate, Elder Bennion was pretty sick this week. Two nights ago it got really bad. I woke at 3 am by Hunsaker saying we are going to the hospital. Bennion's stomach was killing him, to the point that he was audibly grunting in pain. Bennion is no wimp either. Basically we ended up calling an ambulance, went to the hospital, got some ct scans and he is ok...Just has a nasty stomach infection. Bizarre experience to have in Japan. Later that day... Skyped with the fam! That was so great. So great to see the whole family and especially my nieces which are growing up so fast :( Though it was more than just seeing and talking to my family.
Here's why those 2 things were important: Though unlikely, I had this hypothetical thought of Elder Bennion dying. I thought about how short and unpredictable life is. In talking to my family I thought about how much more glorious it will be to go home and see them (and all of you) after giving my all out here. I asked myself a blunt question. If I went home/died today would I have any mission/life regrets? Straight up? Ya I would. I have not been working as hard as I should be out here. It's tough to handle the truth sometimes but if we never realize we can't change. It's time to improve. After this realization, I found it easy to get out and work hard yesterday and am committed to keeping it up. Not perfect but I am trying to be better. 

Side note: After all this on Monday, we prayed as usual for inspiration that day, and followed it. The first person I talked to was a young man who likes ultimate frisbee from Chicago (2 things I love) named Mike. He and I had a way spiritual discussion. I was able to share with him my story and though he has never prayed, he is interested in developing a relationship with his Heavenly Father. Let's hope he exercises that interest and meets with us again as we have planned.
Here's my challenge. Ask yourself about regrets you may someday have regarding who you are now and where you're headed. Give yourself an honest answer and do something about it! 
Lastly, be happy! Have some fun! We didn't come to earth to be stressed, stern, and angry. I am learning to smile a lot more here and be happy no matter what. When I do it I have double the response from people I normally do and I find joy in working. Again it's pretty simple.. Are you happy? No? Do something about it without using a short term or synthetic form of happiness. For me that has been developing a relationship with my Heavenly Father and following his son Jesus Christ.
I love you all and hope you know I am far from perfect and need to follow this advice as much as anyone else. Strive to be more happy and increase the quality of your life and those around you :)

Spackman 長老

Pictures
1. Bet my fam thought they would never see this..Trying to eat healthier, been drinking spinach smoothies, mostly cause it brings out my eyes ;)
2. Happy Mother's Day from my apartment!
3. The backrest on my chair fell off this week :/ struggle was real in this one

4. **We were both wayyy nervous for this picture... (Ft. My new tie :)

5. ShibuyaAAEEA we stopped real quick to grab a picture on the way back from the temple

6. Hospital chillin 

7. I love my comp lol, hope we stay together this transfer (ft. Other new tie)
9. Torozawa city high rise apartments <3 At the bottom is the "tombstones" of a Japanese style graveyard

No comments:

Post a Comment