Monday, April 6, 2015

Careful What You Wish For!

So transfer emails came in today! Way crazy opening that up to hear if I am with the same companion, leaving, staying, training (unlikely) or leading (also unlikely). It reminded me a little of opening my call. I remember distinctively hoping and praying in the MTC that I would get a English speaking companion for my first one, then a couple Japanese speaking companions so that I could really work on the language. So... Turns out I am staying in Tokorozawa which I didn't really care either way. I am excited to be here for Jordan's baptism, hopefully he stick to that commitment. I am getting a new companion though! His name is Elder Inumaki! He doesn't speak English. I am sure he knows a little bit. I am kinda stressing about it. This next transfer is going to be so freaking hard. I will be forced to learn Japanese. It's really a good thing though because my Japanese is going to get so much better.
Things will be hard but just like everything else in life, great things don't come easy.

Really not a ton to report this week. We still haven't been able to meet with Iwasawa. Jordan got a job though which is definitely a miracle!! We were able to finally meet with him today!! First time in 3 weeks. I seriously love that kid. I am so happy for him. Though since he has a job it means he is super busy and we are never able to
meet with him. It also means he is working Sundays and won't be able to come to church. Hopefully we can work it out. As to Iwasawa, we are giving him an ultimatum, he isn't making progress nor putting in effort. He needs to either decide this is something he really wants to do or we need to stop meeting with him. Crazy stuff.

This week we woke up extra early and went and played softball with some of the members. Pretty fun. We also got this food called Okonomiaki this week. Oh my!! So good. They give you a bowl of meat, lots of cabbage, various other veggies and an egg. You mix it all up and cook it yourself. Sounds kinda lame but it's amazing, I'll send pictures. We also had an American sweets party for anyone to come to. So awesome! Neither of our investigators showed up but lots of investigators for other companionships in our district showed. We had brownies, cinnamon rolls, no bake cookies, pb cookies, root beer, ice cream and cream soda. So refreshing to get a lil merica up in hur.
I'll send some pics of that too!

So I am in the "Tokorozawa area" but I actually live in Kotesashi. It's close. We went to Tokorozawa city this week to try and talk to people and check it out. We got there and there was a large crowd of people at the train station. There was a van parked with big megaphones all over it. Side note: for political campaigns here, they just ride around in these vans a blast campaign propaganda with these ladies hanging out the window and waiving, It is soo annoying. This van was one of those. There was a ton of political men standing in a line and one by one spoke to the people at the station, their words being blasted over these megaphones on the van that was there. We went and stood in the crowd and one man got up who was super fiery. Pretty much yelling. Everyone would clap from time to time so we started joining in (of course we can't understand a word that's being said). A couple times I just yelled "Merica!" midst the clapping. People are pretty confused by me sometimes haha. At the end of his speech he started going ballistic, practically yelling and shaking his hands in the air. At the end he yelled, "ARIGATO GOZIMASU! GANBARIMASHO!" (THANK YOU! LET'S DO THIS!) I raised my fist high in the air as he was and yelled GANBARIMASHO! Haha a lot of Japanese people were trying really hard not to laugh. I will send a picture of it.

Since I wasn't at church last week (staying back with one of the elders who was really sick) I missed this crazy miracle that went down. Multiple people showed up at church off the street which is not like a common thing here at all. One kid showed up and speaks English. His names is Shingo, he is 20. He recently moved from the Philippines where he met missionaries. He said he wants to be baptized. Out of nowhere! Kind of frustrating cause we try every day to find people like that and it's so so rare in Japan, but a prime example of how God prepares people and we are here on his errand. I met him yesterday. He's so sick! The other elders in my district are teaching him, the ones that live in my apartment. Hunsaker and Kuniuki, though Kuniuki is going home. The new person coming in this transfer is actually an elder from the other elders in my district, Elder Bennion, who is so freaking sick. Stoked  he is living with me. Elder Bennion is leaving our DL Elder Wolfley who is receiving a brand new missionary. That was probably way confusing so here it is.

Current District:
Bennion & Wolfley
Nagano & me
Hunsaker & Kuniuki (living in my apart)
Sisters

Future District:
Wolfley & brand new missionary
Inumaki & me
Hunsaker & Bennion
Sisters

I'm pretty excited. Wolfley and Bennion also have a baptism coming up this week. Her husband has been inactive but has come back to church. This last week he received the priesthood so that he can baptize his wife. Which is seriously so sick! So as long as all goes well. Our district will have 3 baptisms over the next month. Her, Shingo and Jordan! I am really excited about it. Jordan is all in my hands now cause my companion won't really speak English...

I am really sorry the email was so lame this week. I think about and pray for you guys daily. So thankful for your friendships, support, prayers, love and examples.

Love you!

Spackman 長老

Pics:
1. The political campaign in Tokorozawa, super different and so funny getting stoked with all these people about stuff we don't understand.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment