Tuesday, March 31, 2015

At Least Look at the Photos on This One:)

I know this is sometimes a pain to read for some of you, but I would say check out the many photos for sure!

So last Monday (P day, the day I sent my last email) was the best day I have had since I got here. We got a ton done in our apartment and I caught up on emails (I think I answered all of yours, if not let me know). We went to Costco again (picture). We were planning on visiting Kunitama (the member that gives me dp). On the way there we always have some spiritual experience with people that make us late. We went to the church to pick up a Jenga, sure enough as I am waiting to cross the street this kid rides up next to me. I say hi and ask how he is doing. He says he has hay fever and as he approaches I notice he has tears literally hopping out of his eyes. I have never seen anything like it. Crying so hard because of allergies. We talked a little on the way to the church and I told him I want him to meet my friend Nagano, but Nagano was too far ahead of us and already went to the church. I told this kid to just follow me and that it was our church. I was surprised to see him follow. Strangers will avoid coming to church at all cost usually. 
My comp asked him to come in and he did. We gave him a tour of the church and explain all the pictures then took him in the sacrament room. We sat down and had a full blown lesson out of nowhere with this kid from the street. We taught a ton. Gave him a Book of Mormon, testified a lot and had him try praying for the first time. I just realized how wild it is that I am there for most people's first prayer ever. That's a big deal. He prayed silently and so did we. At the end he told us he prayed to have a normal family. We asked what he meant. Then it got real. At the age of two his father was charged with domestic violence on him and they were separated. From what it sounded like it was a violence issue. He was put in an orphanage and is now living alone at age 18. We told him that we will be his family until he finds one and that in this church everyone is one big family. I envision this kid getting baptized and growing close to a member family who will take him in. It's a stretch, but that would be way cool and so good for him. After about an hour and a half in the church we decided to say goodbye to him then go back and turn off the lights in the church. This is what really gets me, this kid kept asking what we were up to and if he could join us. Afterwords we went to this super dope second hand store that has some way sick and funny stuff. I love my 2nd hand shopping :) We three had a blast in there (pictures). This kid rode home with us too. He couldn't get enough of us. Love him.
We pray every day to meet kids like him. I know it was no accident that I wasn't able to follow Nagano across the street because a car cut in front of me so I just went to the stop light to cross. That's where I met this kid. Wouldn't have happened otherwise.

We had an all day combined zone conference. It was long but very good. I love my mission president and his wife. He tells it how it is but is way chill. She is so loving and sweet. Gosh they are great. They are both converts, President shared his testimony and he had many tears dropping out of his eyes onto the pulpit, it was wild. I went on splits after with Elder Driscle and I finally got a bomb bowl of らめん (Ra-me-n) but could only eat half of it (picture). As we were taking the picture the veggies that were stacked on top of the ramen fell off. He accidentally took a video so we caught it on vid. Haha I will try and send it. 

We played basketball as usual last Saturday. It was such a nice day, first really warm day we have had. Later visited Kunitama cause we had to bail on him Monday. As usual he hooked it up with the candy and soda. I have decided to go on a sweets diet and when I eat out to keep the portions low. It will help me save money and keep me from getting fat. I can already tell I have gained weight haha. First time I have ever had to diet in my life. Ugh... At Kunitama's I brought over a hackie sac and we played. We also took turns trying to run, jump, and roll over the top of his car. He was getting so excited haha. 

Today for P day we went to the temple which was very nice. I was able to experience my first packed train ride where we literally had to push and squeeze people in ahead of us to fit on the train. I was laughing so hard. We went into the heart of Tokyo, places like Shibuya. Though I wasn't able to look out of the train or get any good looks at some of the crazy buildings- kind of frustrating.  

The language and culture walls that stand between me and this people have really started to annoy me. I am now pretty used to this place but as I settle in I get more frustrated with my inability to understand and say exactly what I want to say. It's not like I am struggling abnormally with the language, this is just how it is at the start. I am trying to read and understand the Japanese Book of Mormon, as well as learn the vocab. So hard. I am almost through the first 10 verses of 1 Nephi ch. 1 haha. 

We weren't able to teach either of our investigators this week (Jordan and Iwasawa). Pretty disappointing, they have been distant. The mission isn't easy, though it's not supposed to be. Things always get harder before they get better. I am still finding ways to have fun. I realized this week I have been out for about 3 1/2 months. That's over 1/8th of my mission. Crazy!

I love you all and really appreciate the examples and part of my life all of you have been. Thanks also for all the support and emails! :)

-Spackman 長老

Two words I want you all to know that are my favorite and apply to me perfectly ;)
Suteki (pronounced stekie) - swaggy, cool, or stylish
ikemen (pronounced Eikemen) - lady killer, handsome guy, or stud

It's so funny/weird Japanese girls will approach me and say "ikemen ikemen ikemen" haha I just act like I don't understand and say "hello".
Pics-
1. Every time I go to Costco I feel like I'm back in 'Merica.
2 & 3. Sunsets outside of our apartment, pics never do sunsets justice tho. :/
  
4 &5. A tiny bike (of a Japanese Elder) I was forced to ride on splits.
6. #TMIJ Tall Men In Japan, that's our apartment doorway size as well as most doorways here. No exaggeration in that picture.
7 & 8. Pics in the second hand store with our friend off the street, Subaru. The store's clothes are half and half between suteki and ridiculous.
9. You already know Subaru and I are the best "chick hunters." Favorite pic yet on the mish.
10. A trend I'm starting that only ikemen can pull off... Jogger Dress Pants.
11. A view of the park we play basketball at. It's called Kokukoen (aka Tokorozawa Memorial Park). It's giant and on Saturday there was a ton of people there. The grass isn't green yet but it's still way sick. You can see the skyscrapers of Tokorozawa in the distance above the trees.

12 & 13. Cherry blossoms are starting to pop here. Way pretty. This was at night.
14. My mission posterity all in one place at the temple. Kuniyuki (my great grandfather, who lives in my apartment and leaves in about a week) trained Leftwich (grandpa) who trained Nagano (father) who is training me. S'cute
15. Tokyo temple is dope, Angel Moroni and I kickin it.




No comments:

Post a Comment