Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Make It Rain!

I wrote this email yesterday. Sorry I wasn't able to send it. I didn't have wifi. Sorry also if I haven't answered your personal emails. I really appreciate them! I just literally don't have time to answer them right now. It will be easier when I get my own iPad.

So it is straight pouring here in Tokorozawa right now. Hence the subject line. I still don't have an iPad so Nagano and I have to split the time with the iPad. Kind of frustrating. We went to Costco today.
So weird. They are just like American ones. So good to get a hot dog (or three) and some Mountain Dew and pizza.

At the start of this week the less active member that we met with in my last email, Sasamori San (one we got a picture with and got another this time), called us and said he doesn't want to talk about the gospel with us ever again. Pretty sad.. We decided the next day to try and visit and serve him. We went with the intention to clean his very cluttered and small apartment. He said he didn't need it but told us we could talk. I actually was able to understand some of what was talked about this time, mostly because my very patient trainer translated my words to him, and his to me. I was praying the whole time to know what to say to him. We were talking about wars and jealousy as the cause for most of them. I had this strong feeling I should ask if he was being nuked and would die regardless if he would nuke back. He said he would which surprised me. I said I wouldn't because I would rather not have any blood on my hands approaching death and judgment. Nagano explained it in a less condemning way to him. I talked about how important it is to do the right things and insure to the very end so that what comes after life is easier and more enjoyable. It was our in to a gospel discussion and his heart was not hardened towards our words and we got a chance to testify. Don't know if he will accept our challenge to pray about what he is doing and if he should be doing something different in his life (like coming back to church) or not. But what I do know is that we taught with the Spirit and followed the promptings on what to say. He said he is too bad of a person to pray. I shared my experience of being so far from God and asking whether or not I needed to serve a mission and having the craziest experience of my life. That no matter how far we stray He is always there. I am thankful I have a companion that works hard and is patient. It's all I prayed for in terms of my trainer in the MTC. Also that he teaches with the Spirit.

We have two investigators right now. Tokorozawa is tough, but that's no excuse. One is Iwasawa who is 30 and still lives with his parents. We think he has had trouble thinking for himself. He has been meeting with missionaries for 3 years. He is what you call an "eternal investigator" but luckily I have a new perspective on him since I am a new missionary. It was looking like he might stop meeting with us. But we managed to get a lesson this week and I finally met him. During the lesson I already felt God's love for him so strong.  Love Iwasawa. The lesson started and for some reason baptism came up right away. We had a great lesson of testifying and a great church member with us to help translate some of the hard things. Watanabe (member) did some great testifying of his story of being baptized without his parents permission and how much it has done for him and his parents lives. Very applicable because Iwasawa's parents said they "want him to be baptized after they die". It's a little weird. We challenged him to pray about the decision. The next day he texted twice and called twice and didn't say anything about baptism specifically but some positive words. Idk I will let you know when I get the full story.

Our other investigator is Jordan. He is from Nigeria. Way cool kid, and he speaks English! Having a rough time living in Japan not knowing the language and trying to find work. He is 19. Soooo chill. We taught him the 5 steps of Jesus Christ's gospel. He already had a baptismal date for May 9th. We are just helping him get there. Love that kid.

Finding people to teach is really hard here. Especially since I can't really talk. Most people aren't interested in the gospel. Some are the nicest people I have ever met. Some (especially the old men) are the rudest. They will literally ignore you,  act like you aren't even there walking next to them. Sometimes they will just point away from themselves and raise their voice and basically say get out of here, even if all we said is hi... Kinda funny honestly.

Nagano and I went to meet with a member at the train station. When we went inside a group of teenagers were staring and pointing at me. Which isn't super uncommon here and not in a bad way, but it was very obvious. As we went inside we were getting on the elevator and a group of school girls were giggling. I looked over and they were all staring but looked away quickly. I waved and they shyly waved back. We went to another floor and sat down. Not long after Nagano said they had followed us and their group had expanded and they were staring and giggling again. Lol They eventually stopped. Later we hear MORE giggling. But we couldn't see anyone. I eventually look up to see 4 more school girls peeking over the balcony on the floor above us who quickly hid their faces. So funny. Makes me wish I could get that kind of attention from girls at home ;)

Japanese people are funny. They will stare and point and giggle so much with no shame. But the moment I try and talk to anyone, they all of a sudden get scared like they realize I can actually notice them doing it? They are hilarious.

We had a conference Saturday night and I got to see Belnap Choro (my comp from the MTC) miss that kid. Yesterday at church I was asked to give a talk even though I bore my testimony last week. They called me first so I basically winged it. I shared Alma 32:27. My fave scripture so far on the mish. Tough trying to think of what to say on the spot and how to say it...

Japanese missionaries usually give English classes to anyone that wants to come. It's called Ekiwa. We do it Wednesday night and Sunday morning. This last Sunday this man showed up that approached us at the grocery store. Nagano says all he does is talk about me to him. How cool, tall and handsome I am. So funny cause he doesn't know me, I think Nagano gets a little annoyed and weirded out that this man is straight obsessed with me. It's pretty weird but I mostly think it's funny. He came to English class and church after and I don't know why but he literally laughed at everything that was said. Every simple English word I taught or said he would bust up harder than I have really ever heard someone laugh. It got super annoying but was so funny. I swear to you he laughed for an hour straight in English class. He is pretty old, sometimes he would just pass out while he was laughing. We would ask if he is ok and he would wake up and start laughing again. I wish I had a video.

Dang my emails have been pretty long. Thanks to you that are reading. Everyday it gets better here. Some days are harder than others but it's all good. Love these people, this place, this gospel and all of you.

Keep it real!

Pics
1. A better picture of me and my dream forest green Audi

No comments:

Post a Comment