Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Bold Writing (below)

Dang it rained so much this week! Every day except one it rained and there was about a 4 day streak of constant rain. On Saturday we had a lesson with Kurenuma, an awesome member here, Bro. Suzuki, came and joined us. He told me there had only been two clear days in this whole month! But that tomorrow is sunny. I said, "of course, it's SUNday." Such a bad joke haha. He thought it was really funny though and mentioned it in his talk at church on Sunday lol.

That lesson went super well though with Kurenuma. It was only our second lesson but he is looking really solid! He studies everything we give him really hard and is picking it up real quick! I think he could be baptized in the next month or two. We invited him to be baptized in a month, he said he would like to think about it, definitely understandable. He's coming to church every week and shocked the members this last week with some of his insightful comments in class. He is a little awkward but is starting to really open up!

So it's happening! My buddy Keisuke from Hachioji is getting baptized! He asked me to give the spiritual thought at the baptism so I should be heading back there this Thursday. It's looking like Kurenuma will be be there too! Should be a great experience for him.

One thing that happened back in Hachioji that I am writing just because I don't want to forget ~~ this young kid in soccer gear on the train with a couple of his friends. He was looking and smiling at me the whole ride. Him and his friends would copy whatever I would do with my hands. Whenever I would look at them they would stop, smile and wave. I did a little dance and they did it back. I couldn't stop smiling either, those kids made my day. They almost missed their stop and the adult was yelling at them to hop off the train but they didn't care, they insisted on getting a high 5 from me first haha. I love kids here!

We met with Kouichiro twice this week. Dang I swear I get emotional in every lesson with him. I want to help him so bad! He has a lot of questions and concerns and wants the answers but isn't willing to put forth the faith to find the answers. We had Bro Ishihara come join us for the lesson, they got talking before we got there. We come in the room, we pray and it's go time. I guess the member asked him if he's going to get baptized (they are good friends and speak really straight to each other). Kouichiro kinda went off, he told us very clearly, "I am not going to get baptized." It's hard for him to understand why God would choose one way for everyone to be saved (ex. Christ or one church). He really has some HARD questions to answer. I think he has over-confused God and the gospel. He even said he is going to stop meeting with us. I'm just sitting there like... What do I say to this?! We just kept listening and trying hard to listen to him ~~it was amazing to see what listening to and showing love did in that lesson. Elsmore shared an experience, it reminded me of Alma 32 so we read some of it together. We talked about the seed metaphor. When we see our faith growing we know whatever we are investigating is good/true. Once we recognize that though we can't give up we have to continue to nourish the tree. I asked him what he thinks he should do to nourish his tree. I could tell based off his lack of desire towards church things that he hasn't been reading the BoM, it was weird, I just knew. I asked anyways and he said no. I told him boldly that I can tell he hasn't been reading. Crazy how when we stop "nourishing" our faith it can wither and die very quickly. We can't stop doing the small things, keeping the commandments, reading scriptures/prophets words, praying, repenting, and attending church. 

"But if ye neglect the tree, and take no thought for its nourishment, behold it will not get any root; and when the heat of the sun cometh and scorcheth it, because it hath no root it withers away, and ye pluck it up and cast it out.
Now, this is not because the seed was not good, neither is it because the fruit thereof would not be desirable; but it is because your ground is barren, and ye will not nourish the tree, therefore ye cannot have the fruit thereof." (Alma 32:38-39)

This is something that can happen with anyone. They do something to draw closer to God, feel something great and know they should continue but they get comfortable. They stop "nourishing their tree". The tree starts to die and they say, "I knew this wasn't good" or "I don't need this." Then they cast the tree out... The problem is, the seed (gospel) already proved itself as good by growing. It's our fault if it dies. 

We talked about all this and the lesson turned around. I remember telling him that I simply just can't give up on him. I started to cry. Our second lesson didn't go as well. I love him a lot, just want to see him and all of you plant the seed/nourish your tree. Wherever you are at in the process, push forward!

Plant the seed, give the gospel/Christ/God a chance and if you feel it grow DON'T STOP THERE! Push forward so you can reap the fruits that come from the tree (eternal & true joy). 

I love all of you

1. Kurenuma next to me, Bro. Suzuki on the left :)

2. Rode in the car with the office elders today, saw Docomo tower in Tokyo!

3. We had a music night and this dude came and freestyled!

No comments:

Post a Comment