Monday, August 3, 2015

Hey guys!

Hey guys! :)
I don't have much. It's Elder Stevens last p day, which is sad, but we are having a beach party. I'm excited to play some basketball and volleyball. It's been too long!
So those three new investigators we found last week and set lessons with? We lost contact with every single one of them and they didn't show up. That tends to happen in Japan but 3 in a week? That's ok though. They have their agency. I went on two great splits this last week. First one I went to the mission home in Kichijoji with Elder Bates, my first zone leader, who is now AP. He was one of the first people I ever went on splits with. It was dope to do it again! We are always laughing and having a good time working together. That's what missionary work is about having fun and being happy cause it really is such a sweet opportunity. I have been struggling to feel that lately. We went to a bible study class, the same one I went two like my first day in Japan, it was insane. The Spirit was so strong, the people that attend aren't members but they know the church is true but won't admit it to themselves. It's hard to explain but we read the bible and just talked and listened to the students testify of its truthfulness but not be willing to come to church or pray. We laughed through a lot of it because it's so bizarre, I have never seen anything like that. The next day we walked for about 40 minutes to get to some apartments. It started raining super hard with HUGE raindrops. I have never been in rain like that. One drop would hit the middle of my head and splash down to my forehead. We didn't have umbrellas and every last inch of me was soaked. We were just laughing and enjoying it. He's a stud. 
The next day I went out with my zone leader, Elder Kubera. He is super loving. We went out and tried to pass out Books of Mormon at the train station (see picture). It wasn't super successful but we met some really cool people! One of which is the most prepared kid I've ever met. He actually approached us and we started talking about church. He just went off in English about how he studied the bible, his mom is J. Witness, he went to New Zealand for the purpose of figuring out if it's true. Through his experiences there he realized who God is, but figured out Jehovahs Witness isn't true. He believes there is only one true church and he is searching for it. It was so perfect. We testified, taught, did everything. Then.... He refused to take a Book of Mormon... Refused to come to church, meet with us, pray for the truth, etc... We asked why, he said he doesn't think it's the right timing. He knows what the spirit is and what it feels like. He said he thinks God is leading him but said he didn't feel anything in the lesson. We are pretty positive he did though because we both felt the sSirit soo strong! He eventually gave us his number. I hope he gives it a chance and hope he is given another chance. It really reminds me of the story where Moses puts the serpent on the pole and any that look at it will be saved. All you have to do is look! All this kid had to do was read some of the Book of Mormon and pray and he would have received an answer. It's sad to see someone searching for the truth so hard but refuse to accept it when it's right in front of them. He believes God can give him an answer about it but refused to pray to know. We all can be that way sometimes though. 

We later did Purikura (Japanese style photo booth) again with Issei. Issei has been hanging with missionaries for so long and used to take lessons but stopped. He is soo cool and a really good friend. We taught him a lesson, the first time he has taken a lesson in a super long time. It was great. I don't know when but someday he will be baptized. I hope we just started the process back up for him. I was reminded on both of those splits to really dig deep and talk to people about their future. What they want to do? What kind of person they want to become? etc. It always relates to the gospel. Thankful for that reminder. Let's not forget about the big picture for ourselves. What are your goals? What kind of person do you want to be? How are you going to do it? What kind of person to we want to be known as when we die? Do we want to receive eternal life and happiness and live with God again? Keep a large perspective.

This last Saturday there was a GIANT festival. Atsugi is famous for its fireworks. I will never see that many people ever again I don't think. I would guess over a million, no joke. I'll send some videos.

I love you guys :)

-Elder Spackman 

Pics/Videos

1. Kubera 長老 and I made these signs to pass out Books of Mormon, way fun
2. Some random girls wanted a picture with us so we got one too haha
3. All my companions so far on the mission and me at testimony meeting
4. This SICK door on someone's house
5. Purikura - we fierce
6. Before the party in Atsugi
7. A super small fraction of the people there. I saw people as far as I could see, across the river, everywhere.
8-9. Elder Stevens and I gettin wild, and close ;)

10. Call me an artist ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment