Monday, July 20, 2015

Some Ridiculous Stories & Facebook!

Sorry everyone.. I don't know why but I didn't get any pictures this week.. Though I am using Facebook now! We spent a decent chunk of time this week changing our facebooks so we can use them as missionaries. It was crazy clearing up my photos, brings back a lot of memories. Man I love you guys. I will be posting on there at least once a week so feel free to add me if we aren't already friends, just look up "Elder Brett Spackman." Though, if you want to talk send me an email on here. I'm not supposed to message on there unless it's missionary related.

Alright, here's the most interesting stuff from this week. Elder Brown and I have been trying hard to visit less active members lately. We have a list of over 300 church members in our area who don't go to church and no one knows them. Since most of the addresses are very old we make sure and talk to a lot of people on the way there and back so it's not a waste of time if we don't meet them. One day this week, the first home we went to, we ring the doorbell to talk on the intercom. After we asked the guy if he would hear our message in English he said, "wait." This guy in his early twenties comes out so stoked to talk to us. We asked again if he was down for the message. He just ran in his house, we were way confused, he came out and locked his house up as if he was going with us somewhere. We asked where he thought we were going and he said, "isn't there a church close by?" So crazy, this dude was way down. We joked for a little then shared the restoration and the Book of Mormon. He originally said he didn't believe in God and that even though we had cool teachings that he wouldn't meet with us (which shocked me because he seemed so down), but after a little more teaching he was down. When we asked if we can have his number he basically said, "duh.." When we shook his hand goodbye, he quickly shook it then hopped on each of us for a huge hug. Seemed as if we were long lost friends that hadn't seen each other in a long time (funny cause we are.. Pre-earth life? Hahahahahah I made a funny). This guy didn't seem Japanese at all, they don't even hug friends here let alone strangers! Usually we awkwardly teach people how to hug if we feel like it... Though this time we were the ones caught by surprise! As we walked off we realized we should pray with him. I just go back and yell his name and he comes out really quick stoked to talk again haha. I asked if he wants to pray, he was like, "yeah I wanna pray!" So we taught him, he prayed and said in the prayer that, "he thinks because of Him (God), he was able to meet with us." He gave us both huge hugs again and we said goodbye. Straight up insane experience.

Alright next story. The sister missionaries' friend showed up to English class. The sisters were having her practice English with us after class. The first thing this girl says to me is "do you have a girlfriend?" Next was, "what kind of girls do you like?" Haha we were laughing way hard. When I went around saying goodbye to everyone by shaking hands, she wouldn't let go of my hand! She kept talking to me and I would give a squeeze and a shake then try to let go, but every time she would quickly grab it again... Little by little I was getting out of her grasp until she eventually was just holding my finger. She was really close too. I stepped away and she followed while holding my finger. Eventually I got out of the situation, so funny, but I was really uncomfortable.. Girls... Ew. 

The start of this week definitely humbled me. I went on splits with a brand new missionary for a day and a half! It was really fun a cool kid from Atlanta, Elder Ayala. He minored in Japanese at BYU, so he was about as good as I am. We had a lesson with Shimizu which was so rocky. We had a member there and eventually him and the member just talked for a very long time and we didn't really understand it. We did a lot of proselyting and really had a lot of success despite our lack of experience. We got out 3 Book of Mormons and got 4 phone numbers, pretty good, at least here in Japan. Hopefully we can contact some of those people later. 

Shimizu and Kobayashi are doing just about the same as before, but today we figured out from one of the members that Shimizu got in a wreck. As of right now we can't get ahold of him nor do we have information as to if it was serious or not. Today we have been cleaning getting ready to have President and Sister Wada over for interviews. They are coming to check out apartments, which hasn't been done for many years. They are going to be shocked when they see our apartment. I have heard from many that it's the worst apartment in the mission. 

Saturday we got together with some members and friends and made American pizza, man it was so good. Then yesterday after church we had a gyouza (pot-stickers) making party, so good. Then for dinner that same night we went to a members house with friends and just had a feast! The food here really is so great. 

Sorry, no lecture or pictures in this one... Haha Maybe next time.

Love you all! :)

スパックマン長老

No comments:

Post a Comment